Monday, October 8, 2012

Lunchbox muffins and biscuits

Someone asked me the other day what I pack my kids for lunch.

Pretty much the basic stuff, juice box, cheese stick, pretzels, treat etc.
But my kids do not like sandwiches.

Unless they are deli-meat sandwiches, but the amount of meat and cheese these sandwiches require makes it unreasonable to make them often.

One of their favorite things to bring are these lunchbox muffins and biscuits that I make, and the recipe is 100% made up by me.
But I'm not selfish, I will share with you.


For those of you that want the recipe typed out keep scrolling down to the bottom of this post.

Combine all the ingredients for the basic mix together

Divide that in half, about 5 cups. Put in separate mixing bowels.

Mix in all the ingredients for the blueberry muffins.

Scoop out into greased muffin tins. I use a cookie scoop to measure.
But fill the cups about 3/4 full.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes.

Then, with the second half of the basic mix add in all your other ingredients.

Plop those onto a greased baking sheet. I use a cookie scoop to measure,
but they should be about golf-ball sized.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.

And now you have enough lunch stuff to last for almost two weeks!
That's how long this lasts in my house anyway.

Once they have cooled I separate them into baggies and freeze them.
Two muffins and three biscuits in a bag.
We pack lunches the night before and stick them in the fridge.
By the time lunch comes around the next day they are thawed out and ready to eat.

Lunchbox biscuits and muffins
From rmhouseofnoise@blogspot.com
Basic mix:
6 c. Flour
3 c. Total of various whole grains, I use a mixture 
   of ground oats, buckwheat and flax.
   But use the grains you like best.
1/2 c. Dry milk
3 Tbs. Baking powder
2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Baking soda
• Stir it all together.
• Divide the mixture in half, about 5 cups 
   each, place in separate mixing bowls.
• Once seperated add in the ingredients for the 
   muffins and biscuts.
• Once they are baked, let them cool,
   place in baggies and freeze.
• This will make about 28 muffins
   and about 50 biscuits.

For Blueberry Muffins
Mix in the following to half of the basic mix:
2 eggs
1 c. Cottage cheese
1/2 c. Brown sugar
1/2 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Softened butter
1 c. Applesauce
12 oz. Package frozen blueberries
Grease muffin tins and fill 3/4 with the mixture.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25 min or until done.

For Bacon & Cheese Biscuits
Mix in the following to half of the basic mix:
2 eggs
1 c. Cottage cheese
1 c. Butter
2 c. Shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tbs. Minced garlic
2 Tbs. Dried onion
1 c. Pre-cooked chopped bacon
Add up to 1 c. water if the mixture is too dry
With an ice cream scoop form golf-ball sized balls and place them on a greased baking sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until done.



Thanks!

8 comments:

m @ random musings said...

*snort bowels. these look tasty!

m @ random musings said...

That totally doesn't read right. thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Wierd....... Savoury cookies

Rachael said...

Biscuits, my dear biscuits ;-)

Anonymous said...

What's the difference????

Anonymous said...

Come on do another post!!!!!

Rachael said...

Haha so glad you miss me. I want to post about our finished floor, but that would require cleaning my kitchen... Since I have a big school presentation due next week (yes, I am taking some college courses) kitchen cleaning is taking a back seat. Maybe I should post a picture of my messy kitchen ;-)

Anonymous said...

That person at the top is probably from the uk. They say biscuts instead of cookies

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...